Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Brew Crew GM Time

A lot of people are asking what their favorite teams should do, or saying what their favorite teams should do this offseason. I’m going to play a little General Manager here, and try and make some moves for a team. Note I don’t have inside information only what’s provided online and what I can assume so I don’t know exactly how much they are willing to spend or anything like that, but this is what I would do, or something like it for the Brewers. Braun Morgan and Hart from left to right is a solid outfield, no need to do anything there. Weeks at 2B is good and I’d be content with Lucroy behind the dish. Axford closing, and Gallardo, Greinke, and Marcum as my 1-2-3 starters is also fine by me, this is a good framework the Brewers have. Major needs at SS, 1B, 3B, bullpen depth, and maybe starting pitching depth. I don’t really trust Gamel at 1B, and Wolf and Narveson are ok options at the end of the rotation but they could do better. So first of all the Brewers actually have a lot of young arms in the minors that should be ready in the upcoming few seasons. They may be able to give bullpen help this year if needed, so the bullpen isn’t vital to make moves for. At SS I’m looking at Reyes, Rollins, Alex Gonzalez, Betancourt and Furcal. At 1B I’m looking at Fielder, Pujols, Overbay, Pena, Kotchman, and Conor Jackson.  In my opinion they don’t have any key needs in their lineup say leadoff cleanup or whatever, they have some good hitters who can be moved around without too much hassle. So I’d guys I think have the best value not someone to necessarily fit a lineup. Tough decision but I like Reyes (as I cringe with the fear of injury) so I would make him a priority If I don’t get Fielder back. I don’t overpay for any of these guys though so I may have to move down the line. Rollins is not my first choice, he will probably be vastly overpaid, but who knows, so I’d say I’m looking at Furcal. Either way I’m going to get one of these guys. At first I try and Get Fielder, there is more 1B’s I like on the market but he makes my lineup the most dynamic so he’s still priority #1 overall. Now if I miss out on Fielder I’m probably going hard to get Reyes. If that happens I look to Pena at 1B, he gets on base, he has power, he is my second rate Prince Fielder. Pena would command a lot less money, but if I missed on him I would probably go Kotchman. Conor Jackson I think I would sign no matter what. I feel a lot more comfortable with Casey McGehee at 3B if I can put Jackson there if he falters, not to mention Jackson can play 1B, RF, LF too. So here are my two paths. 1. I sign Fielder, then I get Furcal hopefully. I still sign Conor Jackson because he has good value for my team in any case. 2. I sign Reyes, I sign either Pena or Kotchman to play 1B (with Gamel seeing a little time too) and I sign Jackson to give me depth everywhere. 3B I keep my eyes out for trades, I have solid backups everywhere in each situation, so I look to the bullpen if I have more money left. Finally, last concerns, I could use a utility guy, and or setup help, which I do not add in these scenarios but I could. (I would send some bullpen guy down or trade him if I signed setup help, if I add utility guy Gamel probably gets the boot to AAA or trade.) Sample lineups
1.       Furcal, Weeks, Braun, Fielder, Hart, Jackson, Lucroy, Morgan, P
2.       Reyes, Weeks, Braun, Hart, Pena, Jackson, Lucroy, Morgan, P
Bench in either case: McGehee, C. Gomez, Farris, Gamel, Kottaras
Rotation: Gallardo, Greinke, Marcum, Wolfe, Narveson
Bullpen: K. Loe, M. Estrada, B. Kintzler, M. Parra, T. Dillard, J. Axford, Pinero*
*I add Pinero for SP and RP depth, I put him in the bullpen.

1 comment:

  1. Looking back I probably should have organized this article better, hope it's not too difficult to follow

    ReplyDelete