Saturday, November 19, 2011

Special Delivery: From Start To Finish

So there’s a lot of noise about the end of year awards in the MLB. One that I particularly like is the “Delivery Man of the Year Award.” Now who delivered this year, 2011 winner Jose Valverde takes home the award. This is an award voted on by the fans, but that definitely does not lessen the award at all in my eyes. Valverde had a fantastic season and didn’t get a lot of attention for it, which is why I really like this award, showing some love for the guys who shut it down from the pen. Valverde lead the AL with 49 saves, impressive! More impressive, 0, as in ZERO, blown saves. He my friends shut it down. He helped Detroit get into the playoffs, had a 2.24 ERA and had almost a strikeout per inning. He was well deserving, and I congratulate him for a great season. While I’m on the topic of post season awards, I’d like to enter one argument that seems to be had quite often when a guy like Valverde’s teammate Justin Verlander has a season like 2011. One for the ages that’s for sure, taking home the pitching Triple Crown in the AL, throwing a no-no, and almost getting a second one. He dominated the 2011 season simple as that, and was a unanimous Cy Young winner, but should a pitcher ever win MVP? I used to be opposed to the idea, but in thinking, I believe they should be able too. It’s not like he’d be stealing a position players award, they have silver sluggers and gold gloves, and each position gets their own. So if you field the best or hit the best for your position you get an award. Pitchers as a whole have to fight for the gold glove and Cy Young Award, so there are far less awards to go around, but let me not digress. I think the MVP should go to the player, any player, who has shown the most value that season. If I had to vote for MVP I would vote Matt Kemp in the NL hands down best player this year in the National League. AL is tougher, but I’d have Miguel Cabrera edging out Jacoby Ellsbury, edging out Jose Bautista and I would have Verlander 4th, but this is definitely a tough call. I really would never even want a vote for MVP. It’s so tough to decide who is the best in a game with so many aspects to it. I will say pitchers should be considered, but it won’t be often they win as it’s tough to be more valuable than a guy who plays in roughly 5 times as many games as you. Maybe if they go back to 4 man rotations pitchers will have a realistic shot at competing for MVP. Once again, congrats to Valverde, and all the rest of the 2011 award recipients.

No comments:

Post a Comment