Friday, November 18, 2011

Under The Rader Free Agents

Alright, so I’ve compiled a list of unsigned free agents in 2011 as of 11-18, that are not type A or B, so they won’t cost a team any draft picks, and not ranked in the ESPN top 50 free agents. I believe they are under the radar yet worth a look and I’ll explain what I like about each of them. Jonathan Broxton, Casey Kotchman, Chris Capuano, Rich Harden, Conor Jackson, Joel Zumaya, Chris Young, Jack Wilson, Dontrelle Willis, and Brandon Webb. Jonathan Broxton, not a good or healthy 2011 but still young (27) and was once a very effective reliever, if healthy could go close games for any team. I think he’ll definitely bounce back and be a productive bullpen arm. Casey Kotchman, signed a minor league free agent deal with Tampa last year and all he did was hit .306/.378/.422. On top of that, he’s a pretty good defensive first baseman. I’m taking a chance on him no doubt. Chris Capuano, probably better suited for the NL, still a solid #3-5 starter depending on where he lands, very dependable in my book. Rich Harden, will definitely give you headaches, but might be good valued depth for starting pitching. Yes, he is an injury waiting to happen, but he has #2-3 stuff when healthy in my opinion, but do you want to count on him being healthy? Conor Jackson, if given the chance can play some ball. A career .271/.351/.407 hitter, isn’t too shabby. Can play pretty much any corner position, and will most likely be pretty inexpensive. He’s a good value for sure. Joel Zumaya, I pretty much just like his upside as a reliever. Throws hard, has good stuff, has had some success with Detroit. He could be considered risky due to injuries and the fact he hasn’t really put it all together and been dominant to this point, but a high upside guy who’s young and might be worth a look. Chris Young, like Capuano he’s reliable and a solid #3-5 in my eyes. He was pretty much injured all of 2011 (I know real reliable) but his career numbers are solid, and I’m under the impression he will be healthy and ready to bounce back and perform in 2012. Jack Wilson, solid middle infielder, I really like him defensively, and think he’s a good end of the lineup hitter if you need someone. Probably more suited to be a backup infielder, but he’s solid. Dontrelle Willis, well I’d sign him and pray he is a resemblance of that which he once was. Probably won’t get back to his ace status, but if you can sign him cheap might be worth a shot. Brandon Webb, also some injury problems recently like many of the guys on this list, but he was one of the best pitchers in baseball for a while, why not give him a shot? I guess you’d have to take a look at what he’s got at this point, but a guy who was once that good, could be that good again, right? Comment and add anyone you like that you think is under the radar. Tell me what you think of the guys I mentioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment